Creepy College Ghost Stories
Ah, ghost stories. Are they real or just a random collection of coincidences? Most of us have at least one scary “haunting” story or have heard a few. It’s fun to hear these stories and try to freak out your friends, but at the end of the day we all know they are fake. …Right? People love horror movies and scary things because it forces the brain to think outside the normal realm and makes us reconsider what’s true. A good psychological horror flick will leave you, maybe not scared, but at the very least questioning. Here, however, I found two particularly cool ghost stories. One is from the States and one is from America’s Hat, also known as Canada. Both happened on college campuses though. “But Stephen, ghost stories aren’t real so why bother?” Because shut up.
University of Toronto, Canada
I’ll put this one first so you’re forced to read it and culture yourself a bit. For a point of reference, find a map of the US and look up. That big thing up there is Canada and
Toronto is over by New York. So, the story is pretty interesting anyways. Why? MURDER. Yeah, get excited for that. One story goes that in a very “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” way a student is approached by a eerie figure. In 1889 a student saw a shadowy figure walking across campus one night and boy did that spook have a story to tell. Apparently, the specter was Ivan Reznikoff a stonemason who had helped build the school a few decades earlier. The student, like any sane minded person, invited Reznikoff back to his dorm for drinks and story time. He told the student that he had gotten into an argument with Paul Diablos the project foreman. He said Diablos was trying to steal his fiancee away from him so Reznikoff decided he was going to end the conflict with an axe. Reznikoff struck Diablos’ door when he surprised Diablos at his quaters, but missed and the door still bares the scar today. As Reznikoff went inside to find him, he told the student he felt a knife stab his back. (Which if Diablos was really stealing his wife gives quite the double meaning to the term backstabber). Reznikoff said his body was stashed in an unfinished vent shaft. When the student woke, his friend was gone and it was labelled a bad dream. End of story right? Just a drunken stupor? Maybe, but later part of the building burnt down and guess what they found? The remains of a skeleton with a stonemasons belt.Creepy huh? And we all that Canada was this nice and happy place with nothing wrong.
Ohio State’s Oxley Hall
Now, this one isn’t a one really creepy story type of thing. However, when there are enough stories and rumors for the college to no longer allow people to live there it’s a pretty big deal. Apparently parents were hearing so many stories that they refused to let their daughters live there so Oxley hall was eventually converted intoadministrative offices. There are the common ghostly occurrences like lights flipping on and off, as well as strange noises. There’s also a story that one third floor room is haunted by a woman who died there in the 30s. Apparently on the day she died she appears and the light in what was her room can be seen on along with screams of horror. There are ghostly thefts as well where people claim that the ghosts come there only to steal things. I won’t provide a specific story here because you can look it up yourself there are tons.Scared yet? Probably not, but there is some crazy stuff out there. And obviously there a tons more haunted campuses I just picked these two for their particularly interesting stories. Crazier things may have happened at your college so be sure to let me know. I love good ghost stories. On a final note though, OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT BEHIND YOU?!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent UW Oshkosh News Articles
RECENT UW OSHKOSH CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UW OSHKOSH NEWS
- How to 'Take Care' at UCSC
- Satanists Support Reproductive Rights
- 5 Tips For Recruiting College Students Via Social Media
- Yik Yak Banned at Many Universities
- An FSU Perspective: "The Uber Debate"
- Your Cure to Boredom: Events Coming Up in Tallahassee
- 5 Summer Positions Students Interested in the Entertainment...
MOST POPULAR UW OSHKOSH NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeMarquette UniversityUniversity of WisconsinUniversity of Wisconsin-MilwaukeeUniversity of Wisconsin-WhitewaterUniversity of Wisconsin-Eau ClaireUniversity of Wisconsin-OshkoshBeloit CollegeMarian UniversityUniversity of Wisconsin-Stevens PointUniversity of Wisconsin-StoutRipon CollegeUniversity of Wisconsin-ParksideCarthage CollegeUniversity of Wisconsin-PlattevilleMilwaukee Area Technical CollegeUniversity of Wisconsin-La CrosseAlverno CollegeBryant & Stratton CollegeCardinal Stritch UniversityConcordia University WisconsinEdgewood CollegeHerzing CollegeLakeland CollegeLawrence UniversityMedical College of WisconsinMilwaukee School of EngineeringMount Mary CollegeSt. Norbert CollegeUniversity of Wisconsin-Green BayUniversity of Wisconsin-River FallsUniversity of Wisconsin-SuperiorViterbo UniversityFox Valley Technical CollegeMadison Area Technical CollegeSaint Francis Seminary
- By State
- By City